Short Story Competitions

I enter my short stories from time to time into competitions. It’s highly competitive and I’d imagine a very tough task to judge. So when I recently received a Highly Commended Award for my short story, Stanley Place Boys, from Monash Wordfest 2018, I was surprised and delighted.

I’ve included the link if you’d like to read it. While you’re there, feel free to check out the winners, particularly the children’s categories where you’ll find some amazing entries.

The world is rich with story.

10 thoughts on “Short Story Competitions

1. samharnold September 8, 2018 / 10:41 am

I entered my first last month. I don’t expect anything from it but, it was a good experience.

Liked by 1 person

2. mayangmengurai September 8, 2018 / 12:23 pm

Well done! I entered a competition once on a national level but did not win anything. But I should keep at it – so I’m told 😁 Enjoy!

Liked by 1 person

• S.C. Karakaltsas September 8, 2018 / 9:55 pm

I think the trick is to keep at it. Good luck with your writing and thanks for your feedback.

3. shobasadler September 8, 2018 / 1:22 pm

Reminds me of the caravan park settlements, only this is a rung or two up the social ladder. The struggle and clamour to escape this life are the same though. What little beauty in this bleak landscape, such as the magnificent rose bush brings admiration to the inhabitants and pride in the owner. Love the way you have painted the strength of the protagonist amidst the bleak community

Liked by 1 person

4. meredith langford September 8, 2018 / 9:48 pm

Loved your story – well it was sad. Wished she could have reached out to the young single mother of the next generation. The sadness in the isolation of people who are suffering.

Liked by 1 person

5. EvelynKrieger September 16, 2018 / 1:21 am

Hi S.C. Congrats on your win. You write beautifully and include interesting detail and sensory images. More important, your story conveys humane frailty. I liked this line: “She saluted her before she sipped her drink and pondered in the heavy summer darkness.” I’ve been entering writing competitions for years with many losses and wins. It’s a way to polish your work, keep it circulating, and to give yourself short-term deadlines. For those just beginning, I recommend starting with smaller contests and getting feedback on your work. Don’t give up!

Liked by 1 person

• S.C. Karakaltsas September 16, 2018 / 12:42 pm

Thank you for your lovely feedback. You’re so right. The more you enter competitions the better you get. Good luck with your writing too.