You’re probably wondering what I’ve been doing since the book launch.
I mean it’s all done, published and out in the marketplace. Right?
Not at all. It’s only the middle of the process. Just because friends and family have been enthusiastic and kind enough to buy my book, this doesn’t translate into sales across the world. Although I do recommend a book launch as family and friends can and will spread the word for you too. A lot of writers think that all you have to do is release it and hey presto your book is found.
With a quagmire of books out there and thousands of new releases every day around the world, my one and only book is barely a spec in the world for readers. When I look for it online it doesn’t exactly come up screaming its name out from the many retailers out there.
I have no brand, public relations and marketing team behind me to work on selling my book. It’s just me and it is quite daunting. Part of me wants to stay obscure and another part wants to see how far I can go.
This is what I’ve done so far.
1. I’ve expanded distribution beyond Amazon and have been working with Ingram Spark. So my book is for sale online to forty-nine other eBook retailers such as KOBO, Booktopia and Barnes and Noble. Bookstores will shortly be able to order paperback format via Lightning Spark. This last process has taken at least six weeks so the learning for me is to allow for a longer lead time next time.
2. I’ve used social media such as Facebook, GoodReads, LinkedIn, and Twitter. I haven’t inundated this and I probably should as I have achieved a good reach.
3. An email address list has been put together to provide updates.
This is what I still have left to do:
1. Get my book into bookstores and libraries particularly in my city.
2. Encourage more reviews
3. Check out cost/benefits of promotional advertising online
4. Seek out a reputable book distributor
5. Explore interested media outlets eg local newspapers and community radio stations.
6. And blog!
Somewhere in all this is writing the second book which is well under way.